3K to Freedom!
Dude... seriously, I am SUCH a slacker lately. I can't BELIEVE how long I've been putting off blogging. LOL. I actually really enjoy it to, but for some reason I always find something else I'd rather to.
Well, NO MORE. I'm focused, and ready to blog my ass off.
* * *
So, since my last post, I've gotten a new job. It was rather abrupt to be honest with you. One of the guys I use to work with like 3 or 4 jobs ago, was leaving the company, and shot me an email asking me if I would be interested.
Despite the fact that they're hardly paying me more, and there seems to be less benefits -- I went ahead an applied, had a couple interviews, and got the job. It all happened in about a week.
When they offered me the job, they wanted me to start the next day. LOL. I was like,
"You know, I'm super excited to work with you guys... but at the same time, I've invested a lot of time at my current job, and I can't just leave them with 0 days notice."
The reality was, I wanted to see if my current job would counter their offer. To be honest, I was pretty sure that they would cause the new job had hardly offered me much more.
At the time, I would have just rather stayed where I was, cause I was comfortable, knew the systems, the people, and I had a pretty nice setup.
So, I presented the offer to my boss, and he seemed pretty confident that they'd be able to match it.
Well, they didn't. In FACT, they didn't offer ANYTHING.
I was so surprised!! I mean, I did A LOT of shit there. I was essentially the one stop shop for ANYTHING IT related. Phones, Servers, Network, Monitoring, Backup, Security Systems, Proximity Access to the Facilities, Software, Hardware, etc. I felt like I did a LOT of stuff.
Tacking $3K onto my current wage seemed like a small price to pay to keep someone as versatile as I am around.
I guess that sounds cocky, but I really tried hard to be an asset to that company. ANYTHING they asked me to do, I did it. And I did it well, for a really low cost. Then again, I'm not OVERLY surprised that they wouldn't fork anything out. Right from the start, they made a lot of promises about how I would be able to progress, and make decisions, and most importantly about how I would likely get a raise after 3 months there.
Well, when they offered me nothing... I said,
"Ok, Friday is my last day."
I didn't even give them two weeks. But, I was seriously insulted and didn't give a shit.
My new job is pretty similar in responsibilities as my last one. Primary difference is that I have a manager. It's kind of annoying that I have to run everything by him, but whatever... sometimes you've gotta make sacrifices to progress.
However, I'm already starting to get the feeling that I'm being held back. I have a lot of ideas, and I've spent a significant amount of time in the industry. I have lots of low impact ideas that could significantly improve a companies efficiency, in a pretty cost effective manner. So far, any suggestions I have fall on deaf ears.
Oh well, I guess thats how it goes. I can see some room for progression here.
The company culture is great, and the people are really nice. Now if I can just get them to respect me as a professional, and not some kinda cheap-ass IT Dude.
Mustang is buried under snow. So, not a lot getting done there. I DID start it the other day though. It runs good, despite the fact it's COLD!
Woot. I'm a blogger again!
Well, NO MORE. I'm focused, and ready to blog my ass off.
* * *
So, since my last post, I've gotten a new job. It was rather abrupt to be honest with you. One of the guys I use to work with like 3 or 4 jobs ago, was leaving the company, and shot me an email asking me if I would be interested.
Despite the fact that they're hardly paying me more, and there seems to be less benefits -- I went ahead an applied, had a couple interviews, and got the job. It all happened in about a week.
When they offered me the job, they wanted me to start the next day. LOL. I was like,
"You know, I'm super excited to work with you guys... but at the same time, I've invested a lot of time at my current job, and I can't just leave them with 0 days notice."
The reality was, I wanted to see if my current job would counter their offer. To be honest, I was pretty sure that they would cause the new job had hardly offered me much more.
At the time, I would have just rather stayed where I was, cause I was comfortable, knew the systems, the people, and I had a pretty nice setup.
So, I presented the offer to my boss, and he seemed pretty confident that they'd be able to match it.
Well, they didn't. In FACT, they didn't offer ANYTHING.
I was so surprised!! I mean, I did A LOT of shit there. I was essentially the one stop shop for ANYTHING IT related. Phones, Servers, Network, Monitoring, Backup, Security Systems, Proximity Access to the Facilities, Software, Hardware, etc. I felt like I did a LOT of stuff.
Tacking $3K onto my current wage seemed like a small price to pay to keep someone as versatile as I am around.
I guess that sounds cocky, but I really tried hard to be an asset to that company. ANYTHING they asked me to do, I did it. And I did it well, for a really low cost. Then again, I'm not OVERLY surprised that they wouldn't fork anything out. Right from the start, they made a lot of promises about how I would be able to progress, and make decisions, and most importantly about how I would likely get a raise after 3 months there.
Well, when they offered me nothing... I said,
"Ok, Friday is my last day."
I didn't even give them two weeks. But, I was seriously insulted and didn't give a shit.
My new job is pretty similar in responsibilities as my last one. Primary difference is that I have a manager. It's kind of annoying that I have to run everything by him, but whatever... sometimes you've gotta make sacrifices to progress.
However, I'm already starting to get the feeling that I'm being held back. I have a lot of ideas, and I've spent a significant amount of time in the industry. I have lots of low impact ideas that could significantly improve a companies efficiency, in a pretty cost effective manner. So far, any suggestions I have fall on deaf ears.
Oh well, I guess thats how it goes. I can see some room for progression here.
The company culture is great, and the people are really nice. Now if I can just get them to respect me as a professional, and not some kinda cheap-ass IT Dude.
Mustang is buried under snow. So, not a lot getting done there. I DID start it the other day though. It runs good, despite the fact it's COLD!
Woot. I'm a blogger again!

3 Comments:
I am glad you are blogging again.. thanks to me. Dont try and deny it either.. :) I do after all have, lets say, sway.. haha
And to think you got me all excited, thinking that the k in "3k" referred to kilometers!
I respect you buddy. Even if I don't always act like it, I do. You're friggin' awesome. Just so you know. I'm glad you came to work for me and my dumb computer:)
Post a Comment
<< Home