American V8 Power - Patriotic or Scary?
Well, I got it!
The Mustang has arrived! It's awesome! I'll run through some of the details.
I found the 1969 Mustang on the Internet. Actually it was on a local classified page. The price was pretty reasonable, so I called about it, in an attempt to find out what kind of shape it was in.
It's has a 351 Windsor V8, very little rust, and it runs! There was some body damage when tree branch fell on the roof. But supposedly it has been repaired. The engine is mechanically in good shape. It just hasn't been maintained in 10 years. Need some TLC, but nothing major.
Well, like I said, the price was close to right, and so I went up to check it out. I was surprised to find that it was in pretty startling shape.
Apparently the seller, drove it to his house from about an hour south of him, parked it, and never started it again for 5 years or so. Well, I told him,
"I'll buy this from you for $2500 cash ($1000 less then the asking), if you can get it started and moving, so I can drive it home."
Well, right then he sprinkled some gas (the gas in the tank was bad by then) on the carburetor and I turned the key....
"Lo and behold," that sucker fired right up. Five years of sitting idle, and it roared to life like it'd been driven everyday for 5 years. Then it died. lol (Still pretty impressive)
He replaced the battery, both fuel filters, and the air filter... and I drove it home the next day. Put some good gas in there to dilute the stale gas.
I drove it for an hour in the following state:
WOOHOO!
What an experience. My buddy's wife drove behind us to ensure that we didn't get into too much trouble.
Needless we made it to my Apt. It was bleeding oil like a stuck pig, and the front right brake was grinding BAD, and the big engine was smoking from a gaping exhaust leak combined with burning oil.
I gotta admit... I didn't exactly drive it hard, but I drove it on the freeway... 65 - 80 mph, the entire way.
It has power buried somewhere in the sludge build-up, cobwebs and old stale gas. I could feel it wanting to go fast. It was like olympic runner trying to go full speed, with two broken legs. lol
Did I mention the exhaust note? You have to give credit to the loud, obnoxious roar of a good 'ole American V8. WOW... It's somewhere between a patriotic sound and a sound that causes you to tell your children to run for their lives.
I'm bringing my camera home tonight to get some good pictures.
I'm thinking of starting a blog to document it's progress. I'm not sure how much I would keep up on updating the pictures... so I'm not sure I'll stick to it. We'll see.
*V*
The Mustang has arrived! It's awesome! I'll run through some of the details.
I found the 1969 Mustang on the Internet. Actually it was on a local classified page. The price was pretty reasonable, so I called about it, in an attempt to find out what kind of shape it was in.
It's has a 351 Windsor V8, very little rust, and it runs! There was some body damage when tree branch fell on the roof. But supposedly it has been repaired. The engine is mechanically in good shape. It just hasn't been maintained in 10 years. Need some TLC, but nothing major.
Well, like I said, the price was close to right, and so I went up to check it out. I was surprised to find that it was in pretty startling shape.
Apparently the seller, drove it to his house from about an hour south of him, parked it, and never started it again for 5 years or so. Well, I told him,
"I'll buy this from you for $2500 cash ($1000 less then the asking), if you can get it started and moving, so I can drive it home."
Well, right then he sprinkled some gas (the gas in the tank was bad by then) on the carburetor and I turned the key....
"Lo and behold," that sucker fired right up. Five years of sitting idle, and it roared to life like it'd been driven everyday for 5 years. Then it died. lol (Still pretty impressive)
He replaced the battery, both fuel filters, and the air filter... and I drove it home the next day. Put some good gas in there to dilute the stale gas.
I drove it for an hour in the following state:
- No License Plate
- No Brake / Turn Lights
- No Brakes (4 Wheel Drums, with no power assist and ....uh... no brake shoes)
- Out of Control Steering
WOOHOO!
What an experience. My buddy's wife drove behind us to ensure that we didn't get into too much trouble.
Needless we made it to my Apt. It was bleeding oil like a stuck pig, and the front right brake was grinding BAD, and the big engine was smoking from a gaping exhaust leak combined with burning oil.
I gotta admit... I didn't exactly drive it hard, but I drove it on the freeway... 65 - 80 mph, the entire way.
It has power buried somewhere in the sludge build-up, cobwebs and old stale gas. I could feel it wanting to go fast. It was like olympic runner trying to go full speed, with two broken legs. lol
Did I mention the exhaust note? You have to give credit to the loud, obnoxious roar of a good 'ole American V8. WOW... It's somewhere between a patriotic sound and a sound that causes you to tell your children to run for their lives.
I'm bringing my camera home tonight to get some good pictures.
I'm thinking of starting a blog to document it's progress. I'm not sure how much I would keep up on updating the pictures... so I'm not sure I'll stick to it. We'll see.
*V*

2 Comments:
right on dude.. sweet car. lucky find.. and i cant believe you drove it all the way home with no brakes. i drove it around the block once and that was to much for me.. that thing is awesome. cant wait to turn it into a hardcore killing machine!
You went 65-80!?!?!?!?!?!
I was picturing you clunking along on some little back street in case the thing blew up or something.
You are CRAZY, lol.
Post a Comment
<< Home