Burn Microsoft, Burn
Ok, I'm not the typical computer nerd that thinks that all things Microsoft is of Satan, and that Bill Gates is a blood sucking bastard. I actually believe that for it's purpose, Microsoft has done quite well. I mean, really... what's the purpose of MOST companies.
Simply put: They're there to make $MONEY$.
You can't blame them for doing whatever it takes to succeed in that goal... can you? As far as creating a massively-widespread operating system that has become the overall compatibility mark for nearly ALL software development. And yet still maintains compatibility for every pieced of hardware out there.
Woot - Microsoft PWNs
BUT, I'm sick of it. Because of my recent exposure to Linux... (My last 3 jobs), I have to admit, I think that Microsoft has a serious problem. I think that people are getting sick of spending money on Software, sick of viruses, and sick of the fact that customization is so limited with Microsoft products.
MS Windows Vista is anywhere from $100 to $600.... WTF? Linux? FREE
MS Office 2007 is nearly $700! Or at least it was when I scoped it out like a month or two ago. Are you kidding me? OpenOffice does the same thing... and it's um... Oh, yes, FREE.
MS Windows - Despite what they claim, is still pretty limited in what you can do to customize the look of the operating system. Linux? Are you joking? In addition to the fact that there are hundreds of different distributions (flavors) of Linux, you can do ANYTHING you want to it.
So, I've completely removed my Windows off of my machine at work, and even here at home. I generally alternate between two versions of Linux. I'm still not sure what I like better. But, if you're feeling adventureous, and you're sick of paying for software, you should seriously consider trying out these types of Linux. They're actually very easy to use, once you get past that learning curve. If you're pretty savvy with computers, give yourself about a month of frustration, and then you'll be good to go.
Kubuntu - The often overlooked sister of the hugely famous "Ubuntu." Kubuntu is KDE based, which means the desktop has more Eye-Candy. It's very smooth and very complete. There is a LOT of support, and a HUGE community to help you through any issues or problems.
http://www.kubuntu.org/
PCLinuxOS2007 - Much smaller then Kubuntu, but very polished. This distribution is relatively new, but many details have been thought out. The support and community are signifcantly smaller then the "buntu's" but frankly runs so smoothly and has so many applications installed by default, you may not need a lot of external support.
http://pclinuxos.com/
So, this is my geeky post of recent time. I'm currently downloading the newest version of Kubuntu, and thought I'd rant a bit about how cool it is, to have an Operating System that does EVERYTHING Windows does, and more but doesn't cost a dime.
Woot!
-V
Simply put: They're there to make $MONEY$.
You can't blame them for doing whatever it takes to succeed in that goal... can you? As far as creating a massively-widespread operating system that has become the overall compatibility mark for nearly ALL software development. And yet still maintains compatibility for every pieced of hardware out there.
Woot - Microsoft PWNs
BUT, I'm sick of it. Because of my recent exposure to Linux... (My last 3 jobs), I have to admit, I think that Microsoft has a serious problem. I think that people are getting sick of spending money on Software, sick of viruses, and sick of the fact that customization is so limited with Microsoft products.
MS Windows Vista is anywhere from $100 to $600.... WTF? Linux? FREE
MS Office 2007 is nearly $700! Or at least it was when I scoped it out like a month or two ago. Are you kidding me? OpenOffice does the same thing... and it's um... Oh, yes, FREE.
MS Windows - Despite what they claim, is still pretty limited in what you can do to customize the look of the operating system. Linux? Are you joking? In addition to the fact that there are hundreds of different distributions (flavors) of Linux, you can do ANYTHING you want to it.
So, I've completely removed my Windows off of my machine at work, and even here at home. I generally alternate between two versions of Linux. I'm still not sure what I like better. But, if you're feeling adventureous, and you're sick of paying for software, you should seriously consider trying out these types of Linux. They're actually very easy to use, once you get past that learning curve. If you're pretty savvy with computers, give yourself about a month of frustration, and then you'll be good to go.
Kubuntu - The often overlooked sister of the hugely famous "Ubuntu." Kubuntu is KDE based, which means the desktop has more Eye-Candy. It's very smooth and very complete. There is a LOT of support, and a HUGE community to help you through any issues or problems.
http://www.kubuntu.org/
PCLinuxOS2007 - Much smaller then Kubuntu, but very polished. This distribution is relatively new, but many details have been thought out. The support and community are signifcantly smaller then the "buntu's" but frankly runs so smoothly and has so many applications installed by default, you may not need a lot of external support.
http://pclinuxos.com/
So, this is my geeky post of recent time. I'm currently downloading the newest version of Kubuntu, and thought I'd rant a bit about how cool it is, to have an Operating System that does EVERYTHING Windows does, and more but doesn't cost a dime.
Woot!
-V
Labels: Computers

3 Comments:
wow look at you. bloggin again.
anyway.. hows the newest kubuntu? are you still going to stick with PCLinuxOS?
fellow linux nerd
I reinstalled again. I'm back to Kubuntu. I actually did a dual boot with XP, just in case I absolutely need to us the blasted software.
I actually didn't install 7.04 of Kubuntu... it kept erroring out on the install. It's still in Beta. So, I'm running 6.10. Woot.
It pwns.
WOW. This post had SOOO much nerd in it I actually walked away from the computer and could see the page just glowing with little nerd rays from across the room. Which, is actually pretty sweet, lol.
I have a Mac now though... know anything cool about those? Like, I don't know... how to properly use this freaking "Dashboard" thing? UGH!
Post a Comment
<< Home