Thanks for your work, You're FIRED.
Most of my readers know that DirtyScurty is a good friend of mine in RL. In fact I work with him.
Let me tell you about this bastard. He's super hard working, totally focused, and often comes across pissed off, cause he's sorta scary lookin.
Anyways, he got laid off at work yesterday. It was totally unexpected. Even worse, the manner in which it was done was easily the most unprofessional, awkward, and totally insulting way I've ever even HEARD of.
Our boss walks over, and says:
BOSS: "Hey, didn't you send me an email the other day about some cable management you've been researching?"
Dirt: "Ya."
BOSS: "Come show me what you were referring to."
So, they take off. This is a prime opportunity to give you a little background.
Dirty and I just recently finished a building remodel. It's totally not part of our job descriptions. But, we did it with smiles on our faces... and we did an AMAZING job. We also saved the company about $10K.
After that, I was a little worried about Dirty's position at the company. Mainly cause he didn't really have one. He was just the "guy that did the odds / ends that no one else has time to do." But, he did it REALLY well. Because of the flakiness of his position, I warned him that he should probably spruce up his Resume, and keep an eye open for another job, cause this one wasn't lookin' super hot.
Well, then our work-load totally exploded. We had a meeting with our boss, and he explained to us that we're going to be SOOO busy in the next 6 months. He specifically requested that Dirty attend the meeting. During the meeting he referred to Dirty as being responsible for a lot of shit that was comin' up.
Well, after that, I told him, "Well, man... Welcome to IT." It was lookin' pretty good, and we've been swamped since then.
Well, I needed something from the DataCenter, which happens to be the same location that BOSS and Dirty we're talking. I walked in, just in time to hear the following:
BOSS: "Well, it looks amazing in here... you've been workin' really hard, and we appreciate that. But, this Friday is your last day."
Then he started walking out....
Dirty: "What?"
BOSS: "This Friday is your last day with the company."
That was it. He was given a 2 day notice. No reason, no explanation, no hesitation.
That's how you fire a slacker that hasn't done ANYTHING for months, and is rude and condescending to his/her superiors. That's NOT how you lay someone off that has been nothing but, on-time, smart, approachable, and gets his job done quickly, efficiently, and correctly.
I was in such shock, that I just stood there. I just stared at Dirty. Suddenly, without notice, I snapped into action (LOL).
I ran down to BOSS's office and I unloaded on him. I was saying everything from,
"You just got done giving us a shit load to do, and you fire Dirty?"
to
"If he had quite, he would have been expected to give a two weeks notice... you gave him 2 days. WTF?"
to
"We just essentially invited him to IT, to the point where he was MUCH more comfortable with where he sat in the job security situation, and then you drop him?!"
I means, seriously... I can understand if the company needed to cut expenses, shit... I can understand if they needed to let him go. But, only giving him 2 days? To find a new job?
How many of you could have a sudden cut off of income and be totally ok?
I just think it could have been done with a little more tact, considering what an amazing employee he was.
Oh well... nothing I can do.
Workplace politics are a joke.
V
Let me tell you about this bastard. He's super hard working, totally focused, and often comes across pissed off, cause he's sorta scary lookin.
Anyways, he got laid off at work yesterday. It was totally unexpected. Even worse, the manner in which it was done was easily the most unprofessional, awkward, and totally insulting way I've ever even HEARD of.
Our boss walks over, and says:
BOSS: "Hey, didn't you send me an email the other day about some cable management you've been researching?"
Dirt: "Ya."
BOSS: "Come show me what you were referring to."
So, they take off. This is a prime opportunity to give you a little background.
Dirty and I just recently finished a building remodel. It's totally not part of our job descriptions. But, we did it with smiles on our faces... and we did an AMAZING job. We also saved the company about $10K.
After that, I was a little worried about Dirty's position at the company. Mainly cause he didn't really have one. He was just the "guy that did the odds / ends that no one else has time to do." But, he did it REALLY well. Because of the flakiness of his position, I warned him that he should probably spruce up his Resume, and keep an eye open for another job, cause this one wasn't lookin' super hot.
Well, then our work-load totally exploded. We had a meeting with our boss, and he explained to us that we're going to be SOOO busy in the next 6 months. He specifically requested that Dirty attend the meeting. During the meeting he referred to Dirty as being responsible for a lot of shit that was comin' up.
Well, after that, I told him, "Well, man... Welcome to IT." It was lookin' pretty good, and we've been swamped since then.
Well, I needed something from the DataCenter, which happens to be the same location that BOSS and Dirty we're talking. I walked in, just in time to hear the following:
BOSS: "Well, it looks amazing in here... you've been workin' really hard, and we appreciate that. But, this Friday is your last day."
Then he started walking out....
Dirty: "What?"
BOSS: "This Friday is your last day with the company."
That was it. He was given a 2 day notice. No reason, no explanation, no hesitation.
That's how you fire a slacker that hasn't done ANYTHING for months, and is rude and condescending to his/her superiors. That's NOT how you lay someone off that has been nothing but, on-time, smart, approachable, and gets his job done quickly, efficiently, and correctly.
I was in such shock, that I just stood there. I just stared at Dirty. Suddenly, without notice, I snapped into action (LOL).
I ran down to BOSS's office and I unloaded on him. I was saying everything from,
"You just got done giving us a shit load to do, and you fire Dirty?"
to
"If he had quite, he would have been expected to give a two weeks notice... you gave him 2 days. WTF?"
to
"We just essentially invited him to IT, to the point where he was MUCH more comfortable with where he sat in the job security situation, and then you drop him?!"
I means, seriously... I can understand if the company needed to cut expenses, shit... I can understand if they needed to let him go. But, only giving him 2 days? To find a new job?
How many of you could have a sudden cut off of income and be totally ok?
I just think it could have been done with a little more tact, considering what an amazing employee he was.
Oh well... nothing I can do.
Workplace politics are a joke.
V

4 Comments:
gosh thats so stupid! I can not believe they did that to him. Is that how most smaller businesses are run? Holy crap!
Holy Shit..... I'd be totally pissed!!!!!
Don't they like HAVE to give him 2 weeks notice or keep paying him for 2 weeks beyond when they fire him? I wonder if they had this sketchy plan in mind the whole time and just waited for all of the work to get done. That's horrible though- where's the tact?
Some people.
Welcome to UT.
Open Employment State. (Or whatever it's called)
In UT the Employer doesn't have to give a reason, notice, or compensation.
Post a Comment
<< Home