G&L&C - Icey Jets!
I guess as I get older, I find that I'm becoming more and more sensitive to other peoples behavior. I guess this leads to a more consistent interest in the world around me and various issues that exist these days.
Recently, a proposition was passed in California called Prop 8. A similar Proposition was voted on, and passed in Florida, and Arizona. Fortunately, I don't live in any of these locations, so I was able to sit back and watch the chaos unfold from afar.
What is even more interesting, is that this simple issue became so heated, and is STILL a hot topic, even after it's been decided.
I have a few thoughts about this. Read my disclaimer if you don't like them. I couldn't care less if you don't like what I have to say, so don't bother flaming me. If you do, I'll likely laugh at your ignorance, and lack of appreciation that everyone is entitled to their own opinion... then delete your comment. So, save your embarrassment and your time.
Although I've tried to look at this issue with a very open mind, it's only fair to say that I was raised in a family that has a belief in God.
I think that Gay and Lesbian people have the right to be together. I believe that if they are in love with someone of the same gender, and want to pursue that relationship, then no one should get in their way. That's the wonderful thing about America. We can essentially do whatever we want, within reason.
At the same time, I believe that Marriage is NOT an institution that is defined by the State. Come'on people... if you're going to argue with me on this one... you've already lost.
Sure, Marriage is recognized by the State, and sure they have some specifics written down, to ensure they're not paying tax benefits out to people that trying to beat the system. The reality is, that marriage is an institution that has been organized and created by God.
So what's the big argument? Is the Gay and Lesbian community so desperate to have to approval of the rest of the world, that they REALLY, REALLY want to have the little paper that says that they're MARRIED? Or are they looking for equal tax breaks, and other State-issued privileges?
I sincerely hope that all this bullshit I see on TV isn't because the G&L Community is pissed that they don't get to have the paper with the "M" word on it. Is it REALLY that important?
I'm HOPING, that they're making a huge deal out of receiving the same benefits from the State, as a married couple does. That is a legitimate argument.
So, the churchy people don't want you to get married? Is that because they "HATE" you? That is the dumbest thing in the world. Yah, yah,... I'm sure that there are hateful people on BOTH sides. But, lets not generalize. Churchy people simply want to keep something that the vast majority of the world considers to be sacred, and religious oriented the same as its been for thousands of years.
If you're looking for something that awards the same State benefits as a traditional marriage, then shoot for that. Don't redefine something that is already in place and is entrenched in Society, that it hasn't significantly changed for centuries.
So, G&L want to be treated equally? Churchy people want to keep their religious traditions unchanged. Is it really that hard to find a solution to this problem?
What surprises me even more, is how incredible the out-lashing of G&L was after the Proposition was passed. This may have been a tight race, sure... but it's been voted on in CA twice. Both times is passed. Then it was passed in two other States. If you don't like the results... tough. Welcome to democracy. The majority 52% or something voted to pass it. Math isn't hard... that's more then half of the population of California (that Voted).
Lastly, this whole, "Lets attack the Mormons" thing, is unbelievable. Sure, the Mormon Church is against same-sex marriages. So is nearly all other Christian based religions. So, from what I understood, the church says, "Hey, you know what teachings we teach, so go vote."
Now, since the church's members donated shloads of money to the Yes side, everyone is freakin' on the church?
Oh, and these little demonstrations in front of their buildings? Yah, those are peaceful and respectful protests. You wanna talk about "hate?" Are you kidding me?
First off... why aren't you protesting in front of all the other religions that told their members, "Hey, you know what teachings we teach, so go vote." ?? Pretty sure there is another 50% of California residents that you should be whining to. I don't know how many people are in the LDS church, but seriously... do think that they accounted for the majority of California twice, and the majority in AZ and FL? So, their members donated... maybe thier beliefs were so important to them, that they donated more then everyone else? The "No" on Prop. 8 could have generated just as much money. In fact... maybe they did? I should look into that.
I PROMISE you... that if the proposition hadn't passed, you would NOT see this same reaction from the churchy people. They wouldn't be picketing anywhere and being as blatently rude and hurtful. At the very LEAST, not to the same degree.
Ya, I know all the "No on Prop 8" people reading this are probably foaming at the mouth. Hey... chill out. What G&L do with their lives is none of my business. I'm not saying what they're doing is wrong... I'm just saying... they should stop freaking out cause they couldn't change something that the MAJORITY of people didn't want changed.
Focus on getting the same rights as everyone else. My hell, try calling is something different. But, it's a bit ambitious to try and change the definition of something like Marriage, in a country that is still mostly religious.
Lastly, I have to say. I'm trying to be open minded with this. I really am. I can appreciate what the Gay and Lesbian community is trying to accomplish. They love each other, and just want to be accepted. They want to have the same recognition as other couples, and that's great.
I'm sure there are religious people out there that are hateful about this whole thing. Whether you believe what they're doing is a sin is irreverent. It is totally inappropriate to insult and be hateful to someone that doesn't share your beliefs.
At the same time, the Gay and Lesbian Community does NOT help their cause by spewing lies and hate about religious sects. Mormons and anyone else. Not only do you sound intolerant and uninformed, but it makes it hard to take you seriously.
Lately, I've heard of people actively going out, and attacking (verbally) another person because they didn't have the same belief. I saw a blog, that had NOTHING to do with Prop. 8, but was obviously a more conservative blog, totally flamed concerning Prop. 8. It was so random, I was shocked. I scrolled through previous posts... looking for the "Anti-Gay&Lesbian" post, that prompted this brutal attack. Weird... there wasn't anything. The flamer (no pun intended) stated on his/her blog, that they were simply venting. Bullshit.
They attacked this blogs comment page with profanity, insults, and then tried to rationalize their arguments with an extensive education (Apparently, that means they're opinion is better). They initiated this attack on a comment page to a post about some cool clothing the blogger had recently bought. WTF?
Nothing more convincing to your cause then, lighting up a blog full of children's pictures, and posts about how happy their family is, with profanity and unbelievably rude comments.
Ya, ya... I'm sure it happens on both sides. So, cool your jets.
Anyway... that's what I think about this whole mess.
Don't comment, with a bunch of facts and statistics, that prove me "wrong." Remember... I don't care that you think I'm wrong. This is my blog. I'm allowed to be "wrong" on it.
Anyway... peace out my Gay&Lesbian AND Churchy people. Maybe someday we'll all stop whining about stupid crap, and start investing that energy into world hunger or something else that matters.
Recently, a proposition was passed in California called Prop 8. A similar Proposition was voted on, and passed in Florida, and Arizona. Fortunately, I don't live in any of these locations, so I was able to sit back and watch the chaos unfold from afar.
What is even more interesting, is that this simple issue became so heated, and is STILL a hot topic, even after it's been decided.
I have a few thoughts about this. Read my disclaimer if you don't like them. I couldn't care less if you don't like what I have to say, so don't bother flaming me. If you do, I'll likely laugh at your ignorance, and lack of appreciation that everyone is entitled to their own opinion... then delete your comment. So, save your embarrassment and your time.
Although I've tried to look at this issue with a very open mind, it's only fair to say that I was raised in a family that has a belief in God.
I think that Gay and Lesbian people have the right to be together. I believe that if they are in love with someone of the same gender, and want to pursue that relationship, then no one should get in their way. That's the wonderful thing about America. We can essentially do whatever we want, within reason.
At the same time, I believe that Marriage is NOT an institution that is defined by the State. Come'on people... if you're going to argue with me on this one... you've already lost.
Sure, Marriage is recognized by the State, and sure they have some specifics written down, to ensure they're not paying tax benefits out to people that trying to beat the system. The reality is, that marriage is an institution that has been organized and created by God.
So what's the big argument? Is the Gay and Lesbian community so desperate to have to approval of the rest of the world, that they REALLY, REALLY want to have the little paper that says that they're MARRIED? Or are they looking for equal tax breaks, and other State-issued privileges?
I sincerely hope that all this bullshit I see on TV isn't because the G&L Community is pissed that they don't get to have the paper with the "M" word on it. Is it REALLY that important?
I'm HOPING, that they're making a huge deal out of receiving the same benefits from the State, as a married couple does. That is a legitimate argument.
So, the churchy people don't want you to get married? Is that because they "HATE" you? That is the dumbest thing in the world. Yah, yah,... I'm sure that there are hateful people on BOTH sides. But, lets not generalize. Churchy people simply want to keep something that the vast majority of the world considers to be sacred, and religious oriented the same as its been for thousands of years.
If you're looking for something that awards the same State benefits as a traditional marriage, then shoot for that. Don't redefine something that is already in place and is entrenched in Society, that it hasn't significantly changed for centuries.
So, G&L want to be treated equally? Churchy people want to keep their religious traditions unchanged. Is it really that hard to find a solution to this problem?
What surprises me even more, is how incredible the out-lashing of G&L was after the Proposition was passed. This may have been a tight race, sure... but it's been voted on in CA twice. Both times is passed. Then it was passed in two other States. If you don't like the results... tough. Welcome to democracy. The majority 52% or something voted to pass it. Math isn't hard... that's more then half of the population of California (that Voted).
Lastly, this whole, "Lets attack the Mormons" thing, is unbelievable. Sure, the Mormon Church is against same-sex marriages. So is nearly all other Christian based religions. So, from what I understood, the church says, "Hey, you know what teachings we teach, so go vote."
Now, since the church's members donated shloads of money to the Yes side, everyone is freakin' on the church?
Oh, and these little demonstrations in front of their buildings? Yah, those are peaceful and respectful protests. You wanna talk about "hate?" Are you kidding me?
First off... why aren't you protesting in front of all the other religions that told their members, "Hey, you know what teachings we teach, so go vote." ?? Pretty sure there is another 50% of California residents that you should be whining to. I don't know how many people are in the LDS church, but seriously... do think that they accounted for the majority of California twice, and the majority in AZ and FL? So, their members donated... maybe thier beliefs were so important to them, that they donated more then everyone else? The "No" on Prop. 8 could have generated just as much money. In fact... maybe they did? I should look into that.
I PROMISE you... that if the proposition hadn't passed, you would NOT see this same reaction from the churchy people. They wouldn't be picketing anywhere and being as blatently rude and hurtful. At the very LEAST, not to the same degree.
Ya, I know all the "No on Prop 8" people reading this are probably foaming at the mouth. Hey... chill out. What G&L do with their lives is none of my business. I'm not saying what they're doing is wrong... I'm just saying... they should stop freaking out cause they couldn't change something that the MAJORITY of people didn't want changed.
Focus on getting the same rights as everyone else. My hell, try calling is something different. But, it's a bit ambitious to try and change the definition of something like Marriage, in a country that is still mostly religious.
Lastly, I have to say. I'm trying to be open minded with this. I really am. I can appreciate what the Gay and Lesbian community is trying to accomplish. They love each other, and just want to be accepted. They want to have the same recognition as other couples, and that's great.
I'm sure there are religious people out there that are hateful about this whole thing. Whether you believe what they're doing is a sin is irreverent. It is totally inappropriate to insult and be hateful to someone that doesn't share your beliefs.
At the same time, the Gay and Lesbian Community does NOT help their cause by spewing lies and hate about religious sects. Mormons and anyone else. Not only do you sound intolerant and uninformed, but it makes it hard to take you seriously.
Lately, I've heard of people actively going out, and attacking (verbally) another person because they didn't have the same belief. I saw a blog, that had NOTHING to do with Prop. 8, but was obviously a more conservative blog, totally flamed concerning Prop. 8. It was so random, I was shocked. I scrolled through previous posts... looking for the "Anti-Gay&Lesbian" post, that prompted this brutal attack. Weird... there wasn't anything. The flamer (no pun intended) stated on his/her blog, that they were simply venting. Bullshit.
They attacked this blogs comment page with profanity, insults, and then tried to rationalize their arguments with an extensive education (Apparently, that means they're opinion is better). They initiated this attack on a comment page to a post about some cool clothing the blogger had recently bought. WTF?
Nothing more convincing to your cause then, lighting up a blog full of children's pictures, and posts about how happy their family is, with profanity and unbelievably rude comments.
Ya, ya... I'm sure it happens on both sides. So, cool your jets.
Anyway... that's what I think about this whole mess.
Don't comment, with a bunch of facts and statistics, that prove me "wrong." Remember... I don't care that you think I'm wrong. This is my blog. I'm allowed to be "wrong" on it.
Anyway... peace out my Gay&Lesbian AND Churchy people. Maybe someday we'll all stop whining about stupid crap, and start investing that energy into world hunger or something else that matters.
*V*

3 Comments:
*sigh* I'm on your side, man. I think they should be able to have the same rights and benefits.. And I also think that we need to focus more on making the world a better place for those in need. You need to listen to "Cool the Engines" by Boston.. you totally reminded me of it with your "cool your jets" remarks all through this. Great post!
Very well said.
For a very non-political guy, I'd *almost* be inclined to believe you *could* actually get a *little* INTO politics, sir. Loved the post. <3-Moisty
Post a Comment
<< Home