Sunday, July 31, 2005

Simply dial +27, then "11" and the number, Thank You.

Isn't it just amazing how dynamic time is? For every person that depends on it, time moves at a completely different pace. Or so it seems...

I pleadingly glance back at my screen, hoping that an hour might have passed, in the last few minutes. But, not surprisingly... it was still a little before 11AM.

This is yesterday, near the end of my 12 shift.

So, I've got to find something to maintain my sanity for just a little more then an hour. It's been relatively quiet so far during my shift, which, although is a nice thing... tends to be rather tedious as my time at work nears an end. I know I'm really flippin' out when I start to hope that the phone rings, or sirens and alerts start sounding.

Without really thinking about it... I fire up my AOL Instant Messenger. I'm not a big fan of the application. If I feel the need to chat, I prefer MSN Messenger, and occasionally Yahoo. I guess I like the interfaces a bit more.

Well, after I fumble with my old password, I finally get in, just in time to see one of my old friends log in. Well, just then the phone rings.

"System Management Line, This is *V*," I say, probably with a little too much excitement in my voice.

*Pause*

"Hello? You've got the SMT Line... anyone there?"

Finally, someone responds,

"Wow...uh... I figured no one would be there," the guy says.

After I contemplate why he would bother to call then, I say,
"Well, Sir... I am here, what can I do for you?"

"Oh... *Laughs Nervously* um... I was just hoping that you could open my office for me?" He asks.

"Oh, I don't have keys, Sir... I'd be glad to get security over there to open it for you," is my response.

"That'd be great, thanks."

"Ok, so what building are you in?"

"Building?" he replies, questioningly.

"Uh, yah... the building you're trying to get in? Which is it?"

"I don't know... do you want the address?" He answers.

Suddenly my desire for "something to happen" was replaced with "What on earth was I thinking, I couldn't have just squeaked by for another hour without a call like this?"

"No, I don't want the address... uh... how about your name, instead?" I offer.

"Stuart Pokemyeyesout" he says. (No that's not his real name... lol)

"Well, sir... I'm not finding a listing for you... are you new to the company?"

"What? No, I've been here for 3 years," he stutters.

"Ok, ok... so what's your office number?" I say. I just wanna go home and sleep for a decade. Let's get this guy into his office.

"It's office 6."

"What?"

"Office 6, I'm in office 6," he repeats.

Hmmm... I work for a REALLY big company, we have buildings named after most of the letters in the alphabet... so, it's probably not too surprising to know, that we don't have an "office 6."

"Sir, where are you?"

"I'm standing in front of the building..."

"How about that address," I say.

"Blah, blah, blah." He tells me the address....and I've never heard of it.

"Whoa.... whoa... wait, what location are you in the world?" I ask... this is getting weird.


"The world? What are you talking about, I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa, where are you?"

We've got an office in Johannesburg, so I'm not completely weirded out... just sorta confused...

"Well, I'm in the at the main *Company* Campus, in California."

" *Company* ? Why did you answer the phone?" He asks... he's getting flustered.

"Cause you called me Sir, it's my job to answer the phone."

"Wha... Shit... I think I have the wrong number... Sorry,"

::Click::

You bet your ass that was a wrong number...

11:10am -- That's it?! Are you kidding me?

...Sigh...

*V*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you keep writing entries like this, the Waiter Rant guy is going to add you to his links list. This was absolutely hilarious.

Every time I work a night at the hotel I am reminded how weird people can be. There was once an old woman who called the front desk and wanted early breakfast delivered to her room. The front desk lady said it would be no problem, and the guest should fill out the "early breakfast" doorhanger and hang it outside her door to be collected. A few minutes later, the old woman called back. She was in a panic. The front desk lady asked what was wrong and discovered that the woman didn't know what to do because she didn't want to put her name on the breakfast slip and hang it on the door so people would know who she was. The front desk lady explained that it was no problem, and she could leave the name portion blank. A few minutes later, the woman called back again. This time, she didn't want to fill out the room number portion of the card because she was scared that someone would find out the room she was staying in. Finally, the front desk lady broke down and asked, "If you do not put your name OR your room number on the breakfast slip, no one is going to know who it's from or where to bring your food." The old lady thought about it for a second and replied, "Oh, I see."

Yeah, I don't know- I was just reminded of this.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:45:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That was great. Wish I had a good story like that to tell. ;)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home