Thursday, April 08, 2010

The Most Important Footnote in History

I came across an interesting piece of news today. Apparently, a gentleman named Ed Roberts died on April 1, 2010. He was 68 years old and died from complications related to pneumonia.

To most of us, including myself, this is a sad, but rather insignificant occurrence. I know it sounds a bit harsh to say that his death was "insignificant." What I'm trying to point out, is that people die everyday and it's hard to mourn for those we don't know. It's especially hard to mourn for people like Ed Roberts, who didn't impact in our lives.

Oh, but that is where you would be wrong. I submit that Ed Roberts has not only impacted your life, but he has changed the lives of more people on this planet then nearly anyone in history.

That's a pretty bold statement, eh? Ok, ok... maybe that's an exaggeration (Read my disclaimer if that bothers you). Are you dying from anticipation yet? Back in 1975, Ed Roberts invented the very first commercially successful personal computer. It's a simple, uncomplicated sentence, and no doubt some of you are saying, "So?"

Perhaps, you need to sit back and think this through. He's known as the "Father of the Personal Computer." What a deceivingly simple title. This guy started it all. How many computers do you interact with on a day to day basis? How dependent are you on your PC? Computers exist in your car, cellphone, microwave and mixer.

Yes, I realize that these small computers aren't "Personal Computers," and that someone else should probably receive credit for thinking of adding a computer to the wrist watch and your shaver. However, Ed Roberts was the first person to prove that there was a market for computers in the private sector. This guy looked for a market for personal computers and didn't find one. Despite that, he built and released the first PC out into the world, and it was a huge success.

Yah, yah... I know... he didn't invent everything, and perhaps his direct influence on modern-day personal computers is minor. Also, I'm not saying that if he hadn't done it, no one else would have.

I guess what I'm saying is, that it's sort of sad that someone could make such a HUGE impact on the world (In my opinion), and die an unknown footnote in a minor Wikipedia article.

Check this guy out... and maybe tip your hat at him. After all, you might not be reading this if it wasn't for him.

*V*

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

welcome back my friend. welcome back.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you..... K

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home